8.1.00 Agent Fix Pack E
This Fix Pack is to be installed on your TrueSight Middleware and Transaction Monitor (TMTM) service machine (this Fix Pack requires an 8.1.00.425 GA installation with or without earlier Fix Packs). Fix Packs do not contain all of the files that are required for a complete product installation. If you have not installed the GA version of the product, see Installing.
Fix Packs are cumulative and contain all updates released prior to the Fix Pack. This Fix Pack obsoletes all previous Agent Fix Packs.
Oracle has announced their Java roadmap that includes details about end-of-life for Oracle Java 8 (the final public update for Oracle Java 8 is January 2019) as well as license and cost requirements; see the .
As a result of Oracle’s announcement, note the following:
- You should distribute and update the agent installations. The latest Fix Pack contains updated JREs for all platforms where one is provided. Previously distributed JREs will be out-of-support, and any issues with those JREs will require updating to the latest Fix Pack.
- Windows and Linux agent bootstrap packages have migrated to 64-bit OpenJDK 11 based JREs.
- Review Java extension JRE requirements for compatibility with monitored technologies before updating the agent installation. See Minimum hardware and software requirements for details.
- Extensions that may require an alternative JRE now support a technology specific JAVA_HOME environment variable to define a compatible JRE. See Defining alternative JREs for Java extensions for details.
- Technology specific environment variables are supported for extensions monitoring TIBCO EMS (qptibems, qntibems), TIBCO Rendezvous (qptibrv) or Oracle WebLogic (qpwlmon).
- The Solaris x86 and Solaris SPARC platforms are not supported by OpenJDK. An Oracle Java 8 JRE is provided with the bootstrap package for these platforms and is the most recent public update of Oracle Java 8 at the time this Fix Pack was released. This JRE will not be updated in future Fix Packs. For these platforms you can use JREs provided by the vendors of the technology being monitored. For example, you can use the WebSphere Application Server (WAS) JRE or the IBM MQ JRE.
The Windows 32-bit bootstrap package has been replaced with a Windows 64-bit bootstrap package. Additionally, the Linux 32-bit bootstrap package has been removed and the Linux 64-bit bootstrap package should be used instead.
Existing 32-bit agents and currently deployed extensions will continue to work. However, you can no longer deploy any packages using the Package Distributions tab of the Monitor Console to those agents due to incompatibility with newer packages. At some point, your Windows or Linux 32-bit agent will need to be upgraded to the 64-bit agent.
As with all agent Fix Packs and agent platforms, it is recommended you update the bootstrap package prior to updating any extensions. Note that when following the update steps you should preserve the eaa.xml and other files so you retain your current configuration. For more details, see Updating the Default Layout installation by applying a bootstrap package.
Whenever a new bootstrap package is installed or updated after application of a Fix Pack you may need to update the Microsoft runtime libraries. There is no harm in executing the installer if the runtime libraries are already installed. BMC recommends you execute both vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86, although the 32-bit libraries installed by vcredist_x86 are only required by BTM extensions.
When updating your agent installation, you should review the upgrade steps as they have been altered to accommodate the changes in JRE implementations. For example, you should never extract the bootstrap archive over the top of an existing installation. This is especially important with the JRE changes as the result would be a non-working JRE. You should make a copy of the existing installation, extract it into a new directory and then copy/restore the required files, such as eaa.xml. Please see the documentation for details. Note that this is also applicable to the bmmtm-agent directory.
For information about issues corrected in this Fix Pack, see Known and corrected issues.
Installing Agent Fix Pack E for TMTM 8.1
Installing the Agent Fix Pack E for TMTM 8.1 consists of the following steps:
Prepare for the installation of the Fix Pack.
You should review a Fix Pack's notes and instructions prior to installation. You can extract the README.txt file from the downloaded Fix Pack ZIP file, with the following command:
unzip -o FixPack8100.425E_Agent.zip FixPack8100.425E_Agent\README.txt
-o FixPack8100.425E_Agent.zip FixPack8100.425E_Agent/README.txt
- Create a directory named FixPacks under your server installation directory, if it does not already exist.
If the product is installed in /opt/TMTM, create the directory /opt/TMTM/FixPacks if it does not already exist.
If the product is installed in D:\TMTM, create the directory D:\TMTM\FixPacks if it does not already exist.
- Download the Fix Pack file (FixPack8100.425E_Agent.zip) to the directory referenced in Step 2.
- Unzip the archive. You should now have a directory named FixPack8100.425E_Agent in the directory referenced in Step 2.
If the product is installed in /opt/TMTM, the directory /opt/TMTM/FixPacks/FixPack8100.425E_Agent should now exist.
If the product is installed in D:\TMTM, create the directory D:\TMTM\FixPacks\FixPack8100.425E_Agent should now exist.
Run the Fix Pack installation script; it does not matter what directory you are in when you run it. The default action is to install the Fix Pack. To see the help, run the script with the
If the product is installed in /opt/TMTM, run the command
If the product is installed in D:\TMTM, run the command
IMPORTANT: If you choose to unpack the FixPack8100.425E_Agent.zip file in a different location, you MUST specify the product location when running the installation script.
If the product is installed in /opt/TMTM, and the Fix Pack is in /local/TMTM/FixPacks/FixPack8100.425E_Agent, run the command
/local/TMTM/FixPacks/FixPack8100.425E_Agent/tmtm_fixpack_tool.sh --product_path /opt/TMTM
If the product is installed in D:\TMTM, and the Fix Pack is in F:\FixPacks\FixPack8100.425E_Agent, run the command
F:\FixPacks\FixPack8100.425E_Agent\tmtm_fixpack_tool.bat --product_path D:\TMTM
- Check the output of the script, and its log file, correct any issues and repeat. Contact BMC Support if you run into any issues you cannot resolve.
- Redistribute the agent and extension packages to the agent machines that you wish to update, as described here.