Installing an RSCD agent (Windows)
This topic provides instructions for installing an RSCD agent on a Microsoft Windows computer other than a replicated domain controller. This topic includes the following sections:
To install on replicated domain controllers, see Installing RSCD agents in a replicated domain controller environment.
To perform a silent installation of an RSCD agent, see Using silent mode to install an RSCD agent (Windows).
Before you begin
- Ensure that Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 is installed on the server.
As a prerequisite to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 on Windows 2012 R2, you must have the following patches installed on your server:
- KB2919442 - This patch is required for KB2919355.
- KB2919355 - This patch requires several other patches (clearcompressionflag.exe, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2959977, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018). These are available on download KB2919355 page.
For more information about the prerequisites for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3, refer to the Microsoft documentation here.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 can be installed automatically from Agent Installer Job - Options window and by using the the prepackaged content in depot software. However, the depot software can be used only for upgrade scenario. For more information, see Agent Installer Job - Options and Upgrading the RSCD Agent using an Agent Installer Job.
- The RSCD agent for Microsoft Windows requires that the Server service is running in order to function correctly.
- For a server to provide information about Windows Group Policy objects, the file secedit.exe must be installed on the server, and it must be included in the server's executable path.
If the server is a domain member or domain controller, confirm that the Net Logon service is enabled and running before installing the RSCD agent. The agent uses the Net Logon service to determine the domain and obtain information about the machine. If the server is not part of a Windows domain, the agent uses a different method for determining machine information. Additionally, the automation principal feature uses the Net Logon service to access domain user information so the automation principal can act as a domain user. Note: If you subsequently remove the agent computer from the domain, you must also remove the Net Logon dependency (via the registry) and restart the agent. Otherwise, the agent will not start.
- The patch analysis function of BMC Server Automation requires the Microsoft XML (MSXML) parser version 6.0 SP2 or later to be installed on the server on which the RSCD agent is installed. You can install the RSCD agent on a computer on which MSXML is not installed, but patch analysis does not function correctly until MSXML 6.0 SP2 or later is installed.
- If you are using Windows Terminal Services or Citrix Presentation Server to install or if you are installing on a Windows operating system, use one of the following methods to install:
- Install in Install mode rather than Execute mode. For information, see Using Install mode instead of Execute mode.
- Install using the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility.
To enable patch deployment on Windows servers where a version 8.2.0 agent is installed, additional steps may be required. See Enabling deployment on Windows servers. This requirement was eliminated for agents running version 8.2.1 or later, as described in Agent installation and default treatment of the Windows Administrators group.
To install an RSCD agent
The following example uses a typical installation mode to install on a Windows 64-bit server.
The Typical mode uses a "ready to install" setup with default settings for:
- RSCD agent installation folder. The default is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD
- Security preferences defined in the secure and exports configuration files
- No security preferences defined in the users and users.local configuration files
- Location of agent log files. The default is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD
- Secure log files (enabled)
- Logging of remote keystrokes (enabled)
To change those settings use the Custom mode.
This example uses BMC Server Automation version 8.7; however, the process is applicable to all versions 8.6 and later.
Click Install to begin the RSCD agent installation.
NEWThe installer checks whether Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 is installed on the server. If this is not installed, the installation program aborts installation with an error message.
You can select the Show the Windows Installer log option to view a detailed report of the installation process.
Click Finish to exit the wizard.