During patch analysis, BMC Server Automation Vendor Patch Content performs the following tasks:
- Contacts the agent installed on the target server and retrieves data on patches deployed on the target server
- Downloads metadata from the vendor site and uses that data to:
- compare metadata to the patches deployed on the target server
- check the patch repository for missing and dependent patches
- (HP-UX only) If not already available in the repository, downloads missing patches from the vendor site
- Prepares a deployment package for each target server and within a package:
- patch binaries are put in order (including dependent patches)
- (HP-UX only) commands for system reboot are included where needed
To run patch analysis, you prepare a Network Shell Script job. You can choose between the following methods:
- Run the job based on its predefined (out-of-the-box) settings (simple case), see Preparing a patch job for HP-UX or CentOS with predefined settings
Modify various job settings before running the job (complex case), see Preparing a patch job with modified settings
After preparing the settings within the job, you are ready to execute the patch analysis job.
To prevent inconsistent results, perform analysis and packaging in the same mode. Therefore, if you perform analysis in NIM mode, do not switch to non-NIM mode for packaging.