Automatically creating a Virtual Guest Package
You can use a Virtual Guest Template Enrollment Job to automatically discover operating system templates on VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, RHEV Manager, and Citrix XenServer systems, and create Virtual Guest Packages (VGPs) for the discovered templates. The Virtual Guest Template Enrollment Job discovers all OS templates on the virtual entity managers that you specify, creates Virtual Guest Package for the discovered templates, and stores them in the Depot folder that you specify.
This topic includes the following sections:
Before you begin
The BMC Server Automation Administrator:
- Must use the Virtualization Configuration panel to configure OS level default values for the VGPs prior to executing the job.
- Can configure OS level default values for the VGPs, such as license keys, domains, administrator passwords, and so on. The values are then used when the job creates the VGPs.
- Must ensure that your role has the required permissions (VirtualGuestTemplateEnrollmentJob.*) for the job to create a VGP for a discovered template.
Prior to running the job, review the following considerations:
- Ensure that you have created the Depot folders in which you want to store the VGPs
- This job creates a VGP for any new template that it finds on the target. It does not update or delete any existing VGPs based on changes in the template on the target.
- The job creates one VGP for each unique template name, even if that template exists on multiple targets. The job uses the template name to create the name of the VGP (not applicable for Microsoft Hyper-V environments).
To create a VGP manually, see Deploying virtual systems using a Virtual Guest Package.
To create a Virtual Guest Package automatically
- From the Jobs folder, right-click the folder where you want to add the VGP. From the pop-up menu, select New > Virtual Guest Template Enrollment Job.
- Define the parameters for the Virtual Guest Template Enrollment Job, as described in the following sections:
- Optionally, click Nextto display the following panels and specify options.
- After completing the last step of the wizard, click Finish.
- After the job has completed, right-click the job and select Show Results.
The job lists the results of the template discovery by target. It provides warnings if it finds templates that have the same name but are different OS types, to warn you about configuration errors in the setup. The job displays a filtered list of targets for which template-based provisioning is applicable. After the VGP is created, you may want to use the Virtual Guest Package editor to modify the VGP.