Server properties - update concepts
Over time, you may need to update the server properties shown within the BMC Server Automation system.
When you first add a server, BMC Server Automation retrieves the server's intrinsic properties (operating system, patch level, and so forth) over the network and displays these properties in the Properties view. Over time, some of these properties may change for the server — for example, you may apply a new patch. To instruct the system to retrieve and display new property values from the server, you must update the server's properties.
There are two ways to do this:
- Updating one server's properties, as described in Updating one server's properties.
- Creating an Update Server Properties Job, which updates intrinsic server property values for a list of targeted servers. For more information, see Creating or modifying Update Server Properties Jobs.
If you are using servers in a virtual environment (such as a VMware vCenter or IBM frames), you must define values for certain properties that allow communication with the server's virtual infrastructure. For more information, see Provisioning VMs.
See the following topics for more information on server property update concepts:
- Updating one server's properties
- Properties for vCenter servers and IBM frames
- Renaming a server using its properties