Matching software with depot items
The Select Matching Software window lets you match depot items with software that you are trying to deploy, uninstall, or package into BLPackages.
The following situations require you to match depot items with software:
- Adding software to a BLPackage
- Deploying or uninstalling software listed under the Live node of a server
- Deploying software included in snapshot results
- Deploying software when using audit results to synchronize servers
When you perform this procedure, you are asked to identify a software package stored in the Depot that matches software you are trying to deploy, package, or uninstall. If the system finds multiple depot items that seemingly match, you can choose the correct match from a list of possibilities. If a matching item is not already stored in the Depot, you can instruct BMC Server Automation to add it, and the system launches a utility for adding that software item to the Depot.
If you are adding software to the Depot as part of an uninstall process, you have the option of instructing the system to use the default command to uninstall the software. If you choose this option, you do not have to add a software package to the Depot to perform the uninstall. This option is only available when you are selecting software that should be uninstalled and the default uninstall command does not require additional information to perform the uninstall. In some situations, such as the creation of a BLPackage from audit results, you may be both installing and uninstalling installables. In that situation, the Select Matching Software window displays two tabs. Use one tab for matching software needed for installs. Use the other tab for matching software needed for uninstalls.
To match software with depot items
- If the Select Matching Software window displays tabs, do one of the following. If the window does not display tabs, skip this step.
- To match Depot packages with software you are installing, click the tab for Install Software.
- To match Depot packages with software you are uninstalling, click the tab for Uninstall Software.
In the Action column, use the drop-down menu to select one of the following actions for each item listed in the window:
- Select Use installableName to use the software item called installableName as the software you want to deploy, package, or uninstall.
- Choose Select software from depot to select an existing software item in the Depot or to add software to the Depot so it can be used when deploying, packaging, or uninstalling this item. When you select this option, the Select Matching Software window appears. Do one of the following:
- Using the navigation tree in the window, find and select the correct software in the Depot and click OK.
- Click New. A drop-down menu lets you choose the type of software you want to add to the Depot. Select the software type and the Add Depot Software window opens.
For more information about this window, see Adding a hotfix to the Depot, a procedure specifically for adding Windows patches and service packs to the Depot, or Adding software to the Depot, a generalized procedure for adding all other types of software.
- Select Ignore to exclude an item from the group of installables you are deploying, packaging, or uninstalling.
- Select Use Default Uninstall Command if the default uninstall command for this software item does not require additional information, such as an installable source file. When you select this option, the system uses the default command to uninstall the software. Selecting Use Default Uninstall Command means you do not have to add an installable source file to the Depot to perform an uninstall. This option is only available when you are uninstalling, and it is only available for the following types of software:
- Oracle Solaris package
- Oracle Solaris patch
- HP-UX bundle
- HP-UX patch
- HP-UX product
- If the Select Matching Software window displays two tabs (one for Install Software and the other for Uninstall Software), select the other tab and repeat step 2.
- Click OK.