Adding the Microsoft SCVMM server to BMC Server Automation
This topic describes how to add the Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager to the BMC Server Automation environment. This topic includes the following sections:
To install the agent
- Install the RSCD agent on the VMM server, as described in Installing an RSCD agent (Windows). Be sure to install the Windows x64 agent.
- Push Acls to the system and ensure the Role(s) that will be interacting with SCVMM are mapped to a local or domain account with the appropriate privileges to mange the server.
To add the SCVMM server
- From within the BMC Server Automation Console, add the SCVMM server as a managed server to a server group (right-click a server group and select Add Server ).
- Select Configuration > Property Dictionary View.
- Browse the Built-in Property Classes > Connection class.
Click the Instances tab.
A Connection instance is automatically created with the name
<nameofVMMEnrolled>is the name of the SCVMM server.
Your user role must have the appropriate role-based access permissions to update the Connection instance, otherwise the association between the instances is not created and the server is not enrolled. Also, if a Connection instance is already associated with the Virtualization instance then a new instance is not automatically created.
This new instance contains the connection details for the SCVMM server.
You can modify the following properties for the new Connection instance:
Enter the host name or IP address of the Microsoft VMM Server. Ensure that this URL matches with the VMM server name registered in BMC Server Automation.
For example, if the VMM server name is pw-aus-bsa-qa02.sqltest.bladelogic.com then the CONNECTION_URL will be pw-aus-bsa-qa02.sqltest.bladelogic.com
Enter the name of an administrator of Microsoft VMM, or another user with required privileges.
If you need to provide a domain name with the username, enter it here as
Enter the password of the user that is mentioned in the
- Distribute configuration objects to the SCVMM server:
- From the BMC Server Automation Console, navigate to the Jobs folder.
- Right-click a job group and select New > Administration Task > Distribute Configuration Objects.
- Provide a name for the Job and click Next.
- Expand the Global Configuration Objects list, select the Microsoft VMM object, and add it to the Selected Configuration Objects section. Click Next.
- On the Targets panel, select the VMM server.
- Click Finish, and execute the job. For details, see Distributing configuration objects.
If you upgrade to the latest version of BMC Server Automation, you must immediately update the RSCD agent on the system used for the integration and add the new configuration object version for the integration.
Where to go from here
You can now use the BMC Server Automation Console to Live Browse the server and access the Microsoft VMM node. See Browsing Hyper-V virtual machines.
For details on adding a server and setting properties, see Adding a server to the system.To create VM templates for provisioning Hyper-V VMs, see Creating Generation 1 Virtual Machine Templates on SCVMM and Creating Generation 2 Virtual Machine Templates on SCVMM.