Updating permissions for one or more system objects
You can change the permissions for one or more system objects.
You can update permissions for all system objects within one or more groups, folders, or smart groups. You can also select one or more individual system objects and update permissions for them. Use this procedure to replace the current access control list for the selected system objects or to append new entries to an existing access control list (ACL) for the system objects.
This procedure is particularly useful if you choose to make widespread changes to object-based permissions. For example, if you add a role, you must add permissions for that role to some or all of the system objects throughout BMC Server Automation. To accomplish this, you can select all the objects in a folder or use a smart group to group all of those objects. Then, you can define the permissions that are being changed or appended and apply those permissions to the selected system objects. To update permissions on all objects, you must repeat this process for each folder.
To change permissions for a system object
- Select the system objects for which you want to update permissions. To accomplish this, do any of the following:
- In the Servers, Components, Component Templates, Depot, Devices, Jobs, or RBAC Manager folders, select one or more system objects, devices, groups, folders, or smart groups.
- In the Custom Commands View (available from the Configuration menu), select one or more commands.
- In the Config Object Dictionary View (available from the Configuration menu), select one or more configuration objects.
- In the Property Dictionary View (available from the Configuration menu), select one or more classes or subclasses.
- Right-click and select Update Permissions from the pop-up menu.
The Update Permissions window opens. The window does not show permissions already assigned to the selected items.
- Add, modify, or delete entries in the ACL. This procedure is the same as the procedure described in Defining permissions for a system object.
- Select one of the following:
- Append permissions — Append the permissions you defined in the previous step to the existing access control list for each selected item.
- Replace permissions — Replace all existing permissions for each selected item with the list you defined in the previous step.
- Click OK.
The Update Permissions Progress window opens. It lists the system objects where ACLs are updated.
- Click Close to close the Update Permissions Progress window.