Using Custom Properties with Smart Server Groups
A Smart Server Group is a way to dynamically group, view, and manage Servers in BMC Server Automation.
Before creating a Smart Server Group, determine if you want to use one of the built-in properties or if you want to create your own. If you want to create your own, proceed with Defining Server Properties. Otherwise, skip to Creating a Smart Server Group.
Defining Server Properties
- From the menu bar in the BMC Server Automation Console, select Configuration > Property Dictionary View..
Expand the Built-In Property Classes folder and select the Server property class. Then, on the Properties tab, select the "Add" ( ) button.
- Enter a server property name and description.
- Select a property type.
- Set a default value, if needed.
- If the property should be editable or required, select the appropriate check boxes. Then, click Next.
- Click OK and then click Close.
Setting Server Properties on Servers
You can set server properties for each individual server, or you can set properties once for multiple servers in a server group.
To define server properties on a single server
- Right-click the relevant server and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, locate the server property that you want to set, and set its value as appropriate.
To define server properties on all servers in a Server Group
Right-click the relevant Server Group and select Set Server Property.
All servers in the server group will have the property set with the same value. If you want a different value for any particular server, set its property separately, as described in To define server properties on a single server.
Creating Smart Server Groups
- In the Servers folder, browse to the server group in which you want to create your smart server group.
- Right-click the server group and select New > Smart Server Group.
- Enter a name and description for the new smart group.
- Create the rules for binding servers to this smart group.
In the following example, you want to bind all servers with the External Web Server property set to True.
- Click Next.
- If you want to change the ACL for this server group, modify them here.
- Click Finish.
- Select the newly created Smart Server Group.
All servers with the External Web Server property set to True are added to this group automatically.