Executing a job with BMC Remedy ITSM approval
The BMC Server Automation administrator may have specified that a given job type requires BMC Remedy ITSM approval prior to execution. When you schedule or execute a job that requires approval, you are prompted to select the approval type and enter the approval parameters. These parameters determine the values of the corresponding BMC Remedy ITSM change ticket parameters that are created for the job.
For information about configuring the connection to BMC Atrium Orchestrator and BMC Remedy ITSM, see Enabling BMC Remedy ITSM integration for job approval.
If multiple users are executing the same job, each user must acquire approval by submitting a separate approval request. Approval requests are associated with the job schedule and are not associated with the job. Associating an approval request with the job would mean that all users would be able to use the same approval reply.
This topic contains the following topics:
Before you begin
Ensure that your role is granted the appropriate authorizations for setting the specific approval types that you want to assign to your jobs for execution. For more information, see Assigning job approval permissions.
To specify approval type for BMC Remedy ITSM
- Access the appropriate dialog box box or panel for specifying approval type. This happens in the following scenarios:
- When triggering immediate execution of a job, regardless of how you choose to execute the job (for example, by selecting the Execute Now check box in a job creation wizard or by right-clicking an existing job and selecting Execute), if BMC Remedy ITSM approval is required, the Approval Information dialog box box is displayed.
- When defining a schedule for a job, either through a wizard for creation of a new job or while editing an existing job, if BMC Remedy ITSM approval is required, the Approval Information tab is displayed.
On the Approval Information dialog box or the Approval Information tab, choose the Approval type from the list of pre-defined options, as described in the table below.
Approval types are available to you based on your role. For example, the BLOperator role might be configured with authorization for manual approval, while the BLAdmins role might be authorized for all approval types. The Job Approval type defines what values must be populated in the change request by the BMC Remedy ITSM user. For more information, see Assigning job approval permissions.
Use this option for jobs that require a BMC Remedy ITSM administrator to review the job details and impact level prior to approving execution. By default, this option generates a change request with a Change Timing value of Normal and an Urgency value of Medium.
Approving a job may take some time. The administrator that approves the job may not be available for some time (on manual approval), so submit the approval request as early as possible.
Use this option for change requests that use an Approval Process Configuration form to automatically approve the request. By default, this option generates a change request with a Change Timing value of No impact and an Urgency value of Medium.
Use this option for jobs that need immediate attention and must be run immediately. By default, this option generates a change request with a Change Timing value of Emergency and an Urgency value of High.
If you select No approval, you are not required to enter the additional BMC Remedy ITSM parameters. If a job type requires approval and you select No approval, the approval mechanism is bypassed and the job executes either immediately (Execute now) or as scheduled. This option enables users with the authorization to select No approval to bypass the approval process for special circumstances.
Enter the additional information that is used in the change request.
Enter the type of change being requested. The default value is Change.
Enter any additional comments that would be helpful to the BMC Remedy ITSM user approving the request.
Enter the impact level of the requested change. For example, is the job targeted for one server, or for a large number of servers? The default value is Minor/Localized.
- Do one of the following:
- Select Create new Change Ticket.
Select Use existing Change Ticket, and enter the IDs for the existing change request and task in BMC Remedy ITSM. In this case BMC Server Automation does not create a new change request, but rather updates the specified change request and task.
When using an existing change ID, the change ID can be from:
- An approved but unused change ticket
- A change ticket with a task that contains the required operational categorizations and is approved in BMC Remedy ITSM . In this case, ensure that the task has the following organizational tiers:
- Organizational tier 1: Operator Initiated Change
- Organizational tier 2: BMC BladeLogic
These categorizations are required for BMC Atrium Orchestrator to process the alert generated by the ticket. If you are using the default change and task templates that are installed by the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content Installer or as part of the BMC Continuous Compliance for Server Automation solution, the categorization tiers are set automatically.
If the job requires BMC Remedy ITSM approval (Automatic, Manual or Emergency) then you are not allowed to configure a recurring schedule on the Schedule tab.
To verify a job configured for BMC Remedy ITSM approval
After the definition of a job with BMC Remedy ITSM approval is completed, BMC Server Automation schedules the job and requests that a new change request be created in BMC Remedy ITSM. The new change request is created using a specific change template and includes one task, even if the job has multiple targets. The change request ID and task ID are sent to the BMC Server Automation system and the values are attached to the job schedule. The servers that have been specified as targets are associated to the change and task requests as configuration items (CIs).
You can check to see if the interaction with the change management system was successful by reviewing the list of job schedules, which is displayed under the job until the job starts running. You can also review all defined job schedules through the Schedules tab within job definitions:
- Right-click the job in the Jobs folder, and select Open.
- Click the Schedules tab.
- Review the list of job schedules to see:
- When the job has been approved and is waiting to run
- If the attempt to schedule the job has failed (for example, failed to create or update the change ticket)
After the job starts executing after approval, the information in the list of job schedules is rolled into the job log. If any of the following conditions exist, then the job schedule is terminated and an error message is logged in the BMC Server Automation job log file:
- Specified change request ID or task ID do not exist
- Specified change request ID or task ID are not related
- Status of the change request or task in BMC Remedy ITSM is set to Closed or Completed