Upgrading RSCD agents on Windows
To upgrade the RSCD agent on Microsoft Windows, run the installation program for the version of the agent to which you want to upgrade.
Important information about upgrading agents on Windows
The upgrade uses the installation settings from the previous installation.
- If you previously installed a 32-bit Windows agent on a 64-bit platform, you cannot simply upgrade to a 64-bit Windows agent. You must first uninstall the old 32-bit version of the agent before you can successfully install the new 64-bit version.
- To avoid problems caused by user replication in replicated domain controller environments, you should follow a recommended procedure for installing or upgrading RSCD agents, as described in Installing RSCD agents in a replicated domain controller environment.
- If your BMC Server Automation system includes domain controllers, upgrade RSCD agents on domain controllers at the same time that you upgrade the file server.
- Upgrading to a new release can potentially create mismatches between the version of a custom configuration object, an agent, and any model objects that reference custom configuration objects. See Upgrading custom configuration objects.
- If the Application Server and the RSCD agent are on the same machine, they must be at the same version. If you upgrade one component, you must upgrade the other to the same version. Perform the upgrade steps in this order:
- Shut down the Application Server.
- Upgrade the RSCD agent.
- Verify the agent is running and has been upgraded. To do so, run the following command:
- Upgrade the Application Server.
- To ensure the removal of old entries in the Add or Remove Programs list, run the RSCD agent installer as administrator.
NEW IN 8.9.02Ensure that Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 is installed on the server. For more information, see Installing an RSCD agent (Windows).
As a prerequisite to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 on Windows 2012 R2, you must have the following patches installed on your server:
- KB2919442 - This patch is required for KB2919355.
- KB2919355 - This patch requires several other patches (clearcompressionflag.exe, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2959977, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018). These are available on download KB2919355 page.
For more information about the prerequisites for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3, refer to the Microsoft documentation here.
Before you begin
The patch analysis function of BMC Server Automation requires the Microsoft XML (MSXML) parser version 6.0 SP2 or later to be installed on the server on which the RSCD agent is installed. You can install the RSCD agent on a computer on which MSXML is not installed, but patch analysis does not function correctly until MSXML 6.0 SP2 or later is installed.
To upgrade the RSCD agent on Windows
- Navigate to the directory containing installation files and run the installation program for the RSCD agent. (Installation program names follow the convention: RSCD<version>-<platform>.)
- To begin upgrade, click Next.
- If the installation program displays an information message saying that a reboot is required to complete the setup, click OK.
- To complete the upgrade, click Finish.
The installation program starts the RSCD agent.
Upgrading to a new release can potentially create mismatches between the version of a custom configuration object, an agent, and any model objects that reference custom configuration objects. For steps on upgrading custom configuration objects, see Upgrading custom configuration objects.
Where to go from here
For information on restricting access to RSCD agents and the secure configuration file, see How BMC Server Automation grants access to RSCD agents.
To perform a silent upgrade of the RSCD Agent, see Silently upgrading Windows agents.