Obtaining job diagnostics
To troubleshoot a BMC Server Automation job, you can apply a special property to the job to generate detailed information in the job log.
Running a job in debug mode
If you experience issues with job execution, use the DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED job property to provide additional diagnostic information to the job log. The additional level of logging provides you or BMC Customer Support representatives with more detailed information when diagnosing issues with job execution.
The generated debug logs are stored on the Application Servers involved in running the job in the following directory and with the following file name convention:
<installDirectory>/NSH/tmp/debug/<deploymentName>/<jobName + date>.log
The video at right demonstrates how to use the DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED job property to collect debug data for a patching job. This same technique can be used for collecting debugging data for any job type.
To set the DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED job property
- In the Jobs folder, select a job.
- Do one of the following:
- Right-click the job and select Set Property. The Set Job Properties window is displayed. Select DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED from the Name drop-down list.
- In the Properties tab, select DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED from the Extended properties list.
- Set the property value to True.
The default value for the DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED property is False.
Be sure to set the DEBUG_MODE_ENABLED property back to False when not diagnosing an issue, as running the job in Debug mode has a negative impact on performance.
To view the job log
- Open the Jobs folder, navigate to a job or Execution Task, right-click the job or Execution Task, and select Show Results to display its job runs.
- Select a run of a job, right-click, and select Show Log. A window displays log messages generated by the job.
- To filter messages so the job log only shows servers with specific job results, use the Run Details drop-down to select Errors, Warnings, Success, or All.
- To display messages in a dialog box that enables you to scroll through messages one by one, double-click a message. The Log Item Details dialog box opens. Click the Up arrow or the Down arrow to scroll through messages one by one. Click Close to close the dialog box.
- Click Close to close the log messages window.