Patch management updates for SP1
BMC Server Automation version 8.5 SP1 provides the following updates for Patch Management:
Support for Patch Analysis over a Wide Area Network (WAN)
BMC Server Automation now supports Patch Analysis Jobs over a repeater server (standard only). This update complements the existing support for Patch Deploy Jobs over repeater servers (standard and advanced) and provides an all-round solution for patching over a WAN.
Patch Analysis Jobs often involve copying metadata files to several target servers. Although the metadata files are small in size, the Patch Analysis Jobs are executed very frequently and over a large number of servers. In most situations, copying these metadata files to a repeater can reduce network traffic. From the repeater, the metadata files are copied to the target servers' staging directories and used during the Patch Analysis Job.
For information about configuring your servers to use repeaters, see Configuring servers to use repeaters during deployments.
The agent on the repeater must be of version 8.5 SP1 or later. If the agent is of an earlier version, the repeater will not be used during patch analysis even if it has been configured correctly.
- CustomSoftware.* permission is required to create and add Custom Software to the BLPackage associated with a remediation job. Customsoftware.* permission is not required for AIX and Solaris platforms.
Added nodes to display missing and installed hot-fix
BMC Server Automation 8.5 SP1 includes the new Missing and Installed nodes for each server to display the missing or installed hot-fix under Patching Server View. To access these nodes, see the following steps:
- Run a Patch analysis job.
- Open Job results view and navigate to Server View > Successful Targets.
- Click on each server under Successful Targets to see the new nodes, Missing and Installed.
- Click the relevant node to see the details in the right pane.