Installing the Application Server and Network Shell on Windows
Use this procedure to install the BMC Server Automation Application Server and the Network Shell on Microsoft Windows platforms on which no previous versions of these components are installed. You can perform either:
- A full installation of all components
- A custom installation of selected components
If a previous version is already installed, see Upgrading the Application Server on Windows.
To use provisioning with the Application Server, select the option to enable provisioning.
The Application Server installation does not install the BMC Server Automation Console. To view the console, you must install it. For information, see Installing the BMC Server Automation Console and Network Shell (Windows).
If the host computer on which you are installing the Network Shell has:
- A supported version of Perl installed--The Network Shell installation automatically installs the Network Shell Perl module. (For information about the Perl versions that BMC Server Automation supports, see Perl support.)
- An unsupported version of Perl installed--The installation copies files that allow you to install the Perl module after you have installed the supported version of Perl.
Before you begin
- To perform this installation, you must have local administrator privileges.
- If you are using Windows Terminal Services or Citrix Presentation Server to install or if you are installing on Windows 2003 or 2008, use one of the following methods to install:
- Install in Install mode rather than Execute mode. For information, see Using Install mode instead of Execute mode.
- Install using the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility.
- You must set up your database schema. See Setting up the database.
- On 64-bit Windows systems, confirm that the <WINDIR>\SysWOW64 directory contains a copy of the chcp.com file. The installer uses this file to set the code page of standard output (stdout). You can obtain the file from a 32-bit version of Windows.
- If you plan to use the bljython utility, install the Application Server before installing Jython.
To install the Application Server and Network Shell
- On the computer where you plan to install the Application Server, log on as Administrator.
- Navigate to the directory containing the Application Server installation file, and start the installation program for your platform. Installers are provided for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. (Installation program names follow the convention: BBSAversion-platform.)
- Follow the instructions in the installation script. For details about the required installation parameters, refer to Worksheets for installing BMC Server Automation on Windows.
- At the Setup Type window, select the type of installation:
- Full — Installs the Application Server, the Network Shell, and documentation.
- Custom — Installs the components you select.
- Complete the installation, using information from the worksheet.
- If an RSCD agent is running on the computer, restart the agent.
Where to go from here
- To configure the Application Server and set up administrator passwords,use the Post-Install Configuration wizard. See Configuring the default Application Server using the Post-Install Configuration wizard.
- If you plan to assign the Application Server to a user that is not a member of the Administrators group, confirm that the user has full access to the BMC Server Automation directory structure.
- (optional) Install the BMC Server Automation Console on the computer. See Installing the BMC Server Automation Console and Network Shell (Windows).