Upgrading custom configuration objects
For custom configuration objects to work reliably, the version of the custom object should match the version of the agent.
Any custom configuration objects that are included as part of an agent installation are automatically upgraded to the appropriate version when you upgrade the agent. (See Custom configuration objects for a list of those objects.) You should upgrade any custom configuration objects not included with the agent by running a Distribute Configuration Objects Job. The job should target servers to which custom configuration objects should be distributed.
After you upgrade agents and the Application Server, use the following procedure to ensure continued use of custom configuration objects.
To upgrade custom configuration objects
- Run an Update Server Properties Job on the agents you have upgraded. For more information, see Creating Update Server Properties Jobs.
- Run a Distribute Configuration Objects Job to distribute the latest version of custom configuration objects stored in the Configuration Object Dictionary. The job should target agents that you have upgraded. The system prevents you from distributing custom configuration objects to agents running an incompatible version. For more information, see Creating or modifying a Distribute Configuration Objects Job.
- If you are not upgrading all of your agents at this time, make copies of all component templates, BLPackages, Snapshot Jobs, and Audit Jobs that reference custom configuration objects that have dependencies on agents running earlier versions. You must maintain a version match between component templates, BLPackages, Snapshot Jobs, and Audit Jobs and custom configuration objects and agents. The objects that you copy in this step are the objects that you can use to maintain the version match.
To ensure that all configuration-object-based assets within existing content are upgraded, run an Upgrade Model Objects Job that targets any component templates, BLPackages, Snapshot Jobs, or Audit jobs that you want to upgrade. For more information about the Upgrade Model Objects Job, see Creating or modifying Upgrade Model Objects Jobs.
Do not run the Upgrade Model Objects Job against the copies of objects that you created in step 3.
If you open an existing component template, BLPackage, Snapshot Job, or Audit Job that references a custom configuration object and a later version of that custom configuration object exists, the system displays a message saying it will automatically upgrade the referenced custom configuration object. To maintain a version match with an earlier agent, close the component template, BLPackage, Snapshot Job, or Audit Job without saving.
After executing the Upgrade Model Objects Job, display the results of the job run to see which assets were successfully upgraded and which were not. If you find that certain assets were not automatically upgraded, you must upgrade them manually. Perform the following steps:
- Open the object (template, package, or job).
- Manually remove the asset of the earlier version and add the asset of the latest version.
- Save the object.