Inserting a parameter
Inserting a parameter is a common activity throughout BMC Server Automation. To insert a parameter, enter the name of the property delimited with two question marks.
For example, you could enter
A single string can contain multiple parameters such as:
The Property Dictionary supports hierarchical property structures. Parameters referring to hierarchical properties separate the levels of the hierarchy with a dot. For example, a parameter such as
??TARGET.DEPLOYPATH?? refers to the
DEPLOYPATH property, which has a parent property of
TARGET. (In this example,
TARGET is analogous to the Server built-in property class, because a target for a Deploy Job is a server.)
In a situation in which you can enter a parameter, BMC Server Automation provides a tool that lists all contents of the Property Dictionary that are related to your current context. From that list you can select a property and a parameter is generated at your cursor position.
To insert a parameter
- Access a situation in BMC Server Automation where you can use parameters.
- Position your cursor in the spot where you want to insert a parameter.
- Do one of the following:
- Type the parameter delimited by pairs of question marks.
- Click Select Property
. A list of properties appears. Use the list to do one of the following:
- Select a property from the list.
- Display a subordinate list of properties by clicking the right arrow that appears next to some properties. From this subordinate list, you can select a property. To return to the parent list, click the left arrow next to the property at the top of the list.