Provisioning the Red Hat Xen hypervisor
You can install the Red Hat Xen hypervisor when you provision the Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system to a target server.
You install the Xen hypervisor by selecting it as an operating system component when you create a system package for Red Hat Linux version 5.3 or later. There is no support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 as a Xen host. The Xen hypervisor uses the kernel-xen hypervisor. Because only one hypervisor can be active at a time, you can install either the Xen hypervisor or the KVM hypervisor on a server.
Before you begin
Set up and configure the data store for Red Hat Linux provisioning.
To install the Red Hat Xen hypervisor
- Configure the Red Hat system package type.
- Create a RHL 5 system package and select Red Hat as the system package type.
- Define the settings for the system package:
- Define these settings as you normally would for a Linux system package: Pre-Install Script, Disk Partition, Basic Config, Computer Settings, Network, KickStart, Post-Install Configuration, and Local Properties. For information, see Defining settings for Red Hat Linux servers
- On the OS Components tab, in the Virtualization section, select Xen. Then select other components as you normally would for a Red Hat system package.
- Create and execute the Provision Job. See Creating a Provision Job.