Creating and stocking the Agents directory
Skip this section for ESX 4.0, ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.0 operating systems. These are agentless operating systems. They do not use RSCD agents.
The Agents directory holds the OS-specific RSCD agent installers.
- Under the data store directory, create a folder called Agents.
- In the Agents directory, create folders for each Microsoft Windows, Linux, and ESX (versions earlier than ESX 4.0) OSs that you plan to provision. For example:
- ESX 3_5
- Copy the correct RSCD agent installation file into each of the respective directories that you just created.
- Rename the agent installation files so that the file name is rscd with the same extension as the original name. The following table shows original and renamed file names.
Original Installation File Name
Renamed File in the Data Store
- For Linux and UNIX, copy unattended agent response files into the appropriate directories under the agents directory. These are text files named nsh-install-defaults. They contain variable values and export statements. For information about the variables and export statements, see Using silent mode to install an RSCD agent (Linux and UNIX).
For Windows, the .msi installer contains default responses. To override the defaults in the provisioning process, provide properties and values in the Agent Install Options field on the Post-Install Configuration panel in the system package. For property names and descriptions, go to that panel in the Console and press the F1 key, which displays context-sensitive Help topics. Click Post-install configuration—Windows and Windows R2.
The following example shows an Agents directory for Red Hat Linux x64 stocked with an installer file and unattended installation response file.
The following example shows an Agents directory for Windows x32 stocked with the .msi installer file.