Setting preferences for text editors
The system ships with default settings that you can modify to suit your work, including preferences for certain editors.
You can associate editors by file type or content type. You can specify the default editor for a particular file or content type.
To set preferences for text editors
- Choose Window > Preferences.
- Expand General and select Editors.
- Edit the general editor settings by selecting or clearing options.
- To associate editors by file types, click File Associations at the top of the Editors page or click File Associations in the Preferences tree at left. Add, edit, or remove associated editors in the Associated Editors window.
For example, you can add files with the extension .doc to the File Types list and choose the editor with which you want the file to be associated by selecting Add. A windows lists the available editors.
Extensions are added in alphabetical order to the list.
- To associate files by content type, click Content Types at the top of the Editors page or click *Content Types*in the Preferences tree at left. Add, edit, or remove file associations in the File associations window.
For example, you can add .doc to associate with a Text content.
- To modify the presentation of editors, click Appearance at the top of the Editors page or click Appearance in the Preferences tree at left. To override the defaults, clear existing settings.
- Click Apply to implement the new settings or Restore Defaults to return to the original values.
- To exit the Preferences dialog box, click OK.