RSCD agent licenses
The BLCLI commands described here have been optimized in version 8.7 of BMC Server Automation. For earlier versions of BMC Server Automation, BMC recommends using a script provided by BMC; obtain this script from BMC Communities.
In previous releases, RSCD agents required licenses. Since version 8.2, you no longer need to explicitly license agents. Instead BMC Server Automation users report agent usage. The following BLCLI commands can help you obtain current agent utilization:
The following sample report demonstrates what data such commands provide.
Configuration Manager Agent Activity License Report
Selected Date Range:
2/8/2001 12:51 - 2/8/2020 12:51
BladeLogic Environment (Database URL):
Currently Active Agent Count:
BladeLogic Manager Suite Type
Minimum BBSA Licenses
Configuration Manager + Compliance Manager or Server Automation Suite
Compliance Manager + Provisioning Manager or Server Automation Suite
Configuration Manager + Provisioning Manager or Server Automation Suite
Compliance Manager + Provisioning Manager + Configuration Manager or Server Automation Suite
BladeLogic Suite types
The following product suite types are available for licensing:
- Compliance Manager—BladeLogic product used to perform compliance, snapshot, audit, and discovery jobs on the target agents
- Configuration Manager—BladeLogic product used to perform Deploy operations on the target agents
- Provisioning Manager—BladeLogic product used to perform provisioning activities.
How agent licenses are counted
The Minimum BBSA Licenses Required to Enable Currently Used Functionality column in the report lists the number of agents used exclusively for each suite type, that is, to perform operations of only the specific suite type. The following rules are applied to the counting of agent licenses:
- No target agent is counted twice.
- If a target agent participated in both a Compliance operation and a Provisioning operation, then the target agent is counted only towards the Compliance+Provisiong entry in the table.
It is not counted towards the Compliance Manager entry or the Provisioning Manager entry.
- The sum of all these column values should add up to the number of active servers at that point in the date range.
Agents running earlier releases
If you are using earlier versions of RSCD agents, you must still license them. Refer to documentation for those earlier releases for details on licensing. If you upgrade an agent from a pre-8.2 release, the agent becomes fully licensed.