Loading and unloading KM components
Before you can configure and use the installed product, you must load the relevant product .kml files. The .kml files are a collection of product-related .km files. Each .km file corresponds to an application class.
If you no longer want to use an application class that you previously loaded, you can unload (or delete) one or more .km files or the .kml file. After you delete the files, the application classes no longer appear in your console.
When you delete a .kml or .km file by using a console, the file is not deleted from the patrol\knowledge directories on the BMC PATROL console or the PATROL Agent computers.
Before you load a Knowledge Module (KM), verify the following items:
- BMC PATROL console is running.
- BMC PATROL Agent version 3.9.00 and later and
BMC PATROL for BMC Server Automation 8.2.00 are installed on one or more servers.
- BMC PATROL for BMC Server Automation is installed on any PATROL Console version 3.x host computers where you plan to use it.
- If you are using PATROL Central Operator – Microsoft Windows Edition, BMC PATROL for BMC Server Automation is installed on the PATROL Console Server host computer.
- If you are using PATROL Central Operator – Web Edition, BMC PATROL for BMC Server Automation is installed on the Web server and PATROL Console Server host computers (if they are installed on separate computers).
- The XML Agent is activated on the monitored switch
- The user role is set to at minimum read only
To load or unload KMs
Load the files as follows:
- If you want the product to start automatically when you open the console, ensure the product .km files and the configuration file for the agent are loaded on the same computer where the PATROL Agent is installed.
- If each time you want to manually load the product by using the console, ensure that the product .km files are loaded on the same computer as where your PATROL console is installed.
If you want your KMs to continue collecting data even when there is no console running, preload your KMs. A preloaded KM is loaded by the PATROL Agent at startup and runs as long as the PATROL Agent runs. To preload, add the .kml file (or individual .km files) to the agent’s preload list in the preloadedKMs variable in the pconfig utility. To access the pconfig utility, see Accessing the pconfig utility.
The task of loading and unloading KMs differs according to the type of BMC PATROL console: