Viewing a Transcript Search report
The Transcript Search report displays text that appears in device interaction transcripts based on the search criteria.
A transcript includes the complete conversation that took place between a device and the BMC Network Automation system when executing a span action from a job. A transcript shows the commands the BMC Network Automation system sent to the device and the responses the device sent back. It can include configuration data (when a snapshot was taken using tunneled mode) or configuration changes (when a Deploy to Active operation was done using tunneled mode). It can include various error messages that the device emitted when a command that the system sent was invalid or encountered a failure.
Use this report when you want to determine if anyone made unauthorized security-related changes during interactive Telnet/SSH Sessions. Or, use this report when you recall seeing some sort of error from a device. but cannot recall where you saw it or what exactly happened.
To generate a Transcript Search report
- Open the Transcript Search Report wizard page by navigating to Reports > Search Reports > Transcript Search.
Enter the following information in the displayed fields:
Field or link
Select a network span for the report. Select one of the following options:
- Entire Network
- Realm: Select one of the defined realms.
- Group: Select one of the defined realms, and then select a group.
- Device: Select one of the defined realms, and then select a device.
Click to open the Device Filter dialog box and select a specific device or set of devices.
Click to view the selected devices after using the Filter Devices option.
Select the time range for the search; this selection matches against the job creation time.
If you select After, Before, or Range, additional controls appear that you can use to select the appropriate dates/times.
Select one of the following options:
- Search All Actions: Search all actions, whether or not changes were made.
- Search All Actions That Make Changes: Search actions of every type that make changes.
- Search Single Action: Select one of the actions in the drop-down menu.
Use these options to specify the text to search for:
- Line: Search for an exact line. Do not use regular expressions in the line.
- Pattern: Enter the regular expression to search for.
- Case Sensitive: The subject is sensitive to uppercase and lowercase
- Ignore Whitespace: Ignore leading command-line white space
Additional search options:
- Show Matching Devices: The report includes devices whose transcript matched the search criteria.
- Show Matched Lines: The report includes lines that matched the search criteria.
- Show Non-Matching Devices: The report includes devices whose transcript did not match the search criteria.
Search User Interactions Only: The search includes only the Telnet/SSH Session part of the transcript where a user directly interacted with the device.
This option is only available if the Single Action is Telnet/SSH Session.
- Click Next.
The report contains the columns listed in the following table:
The name of the device.
The realm that the device is in.
The Job ID of the job that produced the transcript. Click the Job ID to view the Job Details report.
Clickto display the Transcript Search Details Report, showing the matched lines in context.
The number of lines that matched.
The actual lines that matched the specified subject and their line number.
The following figure shows a sample Transcript Search Details report.
(Optional): Perform one of the following tasks by using the menu options that are available on the Transcript Search Report page: