Managing device import tasks
You can add devices to the inventory or you can import devices from one or more sources (for example, CSV seed file, HP NNM, CiscoWorks). For information about the fields that are imported for each source, see Understanding device import formats.
BMC Network Automation supports the following factory-installed BMC and third-party systems:
- BMC Atrium CMDB version 2.1 and above (including BMC Atrium CMDB version 7.5)
- BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping version 7.5
- BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping version 8.2+
- BMC Foundation Discovery version 1.5
- BMC Network Automation XML
- CiscoWorks Data Extraction Engine XML
- Comma Separated Value (CSV) Text
- Entuity Eye of the Storm XML
- HP Network Node Manager (NNM) version 7.x Data Warehouse
- HP NNM version 8.x/9.x
- Intermapper Map Data XML
- Ipswitch WhatsUp XML
- User defined database query
You can schedule any number of device import tasks. The advantages to scheduling multiple import tasks are as follows:
- Devices can be imported from multiple sources (for example, CiscoWorks and HP NNM).
- Information for a single device can be located across multiple systems or files. The import task merges device information from the multiple import tasks.
You can manage device import tasks by navigating to Admin > Network Admin > Device Import. The Device Import Tasks page is displayed.
Device import tips and tricks:
- Review the general import rules before executing your initial import.
- If importing data to dynamic fields (for example, from CSV file), create the dynamic fields before performing the import.
- If you want to parse an imported field (for example, device Name) to populate other dynamic fields, define one or more derived dynamic fields before performing the import.
- If you want to discover new devices, schedule the import task on a recurring basis.
- Review the Device Snapshot tips and tricks if you select to take a snapshot of the configuration for new devices as part of the import task.
The following table contains conceptual information and tasks that describe how to manage BMC Network Automation device import tasks and provides links to the applicable topics:
|Administering task||For more information||Benefit|
|To understand general rules for the device import tasks||General rules for import tasks||Understand the general rules associated with the device import tasks.|
|To add a file access device import task||Adding a file access device import task|
Add a file-based device import task (for example, CiscoWorks RME, Ipswitch WhatsUp, CSV file, Entuity Eye of the Storm).
Also, review the following topics to learn how to create the import source file for supported management systems:
|To add a CMDB device import task||Adding a BMC Atrium CMDB device import task||Import a device inventory from BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB), the BMC database used for sharing configuration data among various BMC products.|
|To add a JDBC database access device import task||Adding a JDBC database access device import task||Import a device inventory directly from a database using a JDBC SQL driver.|
|To perform actions on device import tasks||Viewing the device import task list|
Use the device import list to perform the following operations:
|To understand various device import formats||Understanding device import formats|
Understand fields that are imported for each source format, which is supported by BMC Network Automation, in the following topics: