Choosing Job Optimizer candidates
The automatic selection of candidates is based on job policy information and job structure. You can define a job policy that covers a group of jobs. If the job meets the Job Optimizer criteria when Job Optimizer begins analysis, performance processing is applied to subsequent runs.
The second method uses your existing System Management Facilities (SMF) data as a starting point for analysis by Job Optimizer. Job Optimizer provides a utility that analyzes SMF data and creates an output file (the Select File). Job Optimizer also provides a reporting program that uses that select file and creates a Candidate Report.
The Candidate Report lists jobs that might be enhanced by Job Optimizer. SMF does not contain all of the necessary information to guarantee candidacy, but it does provide a good starting point.
The MainView Batch Optimizer Candidate Utility is available from the MainView Batch Optimizer product support page.
To automatically select candidates
- Define the job policy for a group of jobs as ANALYZE or SPLIT.
- After the job executes one of the following actions.
If the job policy ACTION=ANALYZE - Job Optimizer continues to analyze until you change the ACTION value. Running the report program assists you in determining what benefits might be derived from Job Optimizer.
If the job policy ACTION=SPLIT - Job Optimizer automatically enhances the job, if possible, when the trust factor is met.
To select candidates using SMF data
When a set of candidates have been identified by using SMF data, you can use the Populate History Utility to load the Select File to your MainView Batch Optimizer Subsystem History data set. You can specify a subset of these jobs during the load process. The steps for this method are described below.
- Edit the sample BSLBJRPT to create a Select File.
- Generate a Candidate Report.
- Analyze the results of the Candidate Report program to determine whether you want to make more runs to refine the Select File.
- When you are satisfied with the Select File, edit BSLBJLOD to populate the MainView Batch Optimizer History data set.
- Make sure that job policy definitions are in place to enable selection.
- When the policy is in place, and the trust factor is met, Job Optimizer applies job performance processing on the next execution.