Setting up dynamic field rendering for tickets
Administrators can enable the dynamic field rendering feature for tickets and define the field display criteria for all ticket layouts. The configured field display criteria are applied when creating or modifying tickets. The ticket form shows relevant fields based on client user's inputs.Note that the Dynamic Field Rendering feature is supported for Self Service 3.0 only.
For example, if the ticket category is Network Issue, you might need the details such as Network ID and Service Provider. By enabling dynamic field rendering, administrators can configure the ticket layout so that the Network ID and Service Provider fields are displayed only when a client user enters the ticket category as Network Issue. The following figures show the fields displayed on a blank ticket form and the additional fields displayed on it based on client user's inputs:
|Before entering inputs||After entering inputs|
Though enabling the dynamic field rendering feature is not mandatory, it is beneficial in the following scenarios:
- When creating or editing a ticket, additional information required to resolve tickets is not captured. For obtaining the required information, staff users contact the client users after a ticket is created. You can avoid this situation by configuring the field display criteria and capture the required information while creating or modifying tickets.
- Ticket layouts contain several fields. However, all fields may not be relevant for all types of tickets. By enabling the dynamic field rendering, you can hide the irrelevant fields on a ticket layout.
Fields that cannot be dynamically rendered
You must display mandatory fields, and cannot make them dynamically rendered. For example, Description is a mandatory field. Even if you can add a condition for this field, it is not applied in Self Service 3.0.
In addition, the following fields cannot be dynamically rendered:
- You cannot define the field display criteria for the time and encrypted field types.
- When defining the field display criteria, you must exclude the following read-only fields:
- Layout Type
- Auto Number
- Smart View
- Opened Date
- Has Attachments
- VIP client
How field data is saved
Before applying dynamic field rendering, you must be aware of the following considerations:
- When you submit a ticket from Self Service 3.0, data of the following fields is saved:
- All visible fields on the ticket form.
- Fields that are poulated through a template but are not present in a ticket layout.
- The default values of hidden fields are saved whether they are present in a ticket layoout or not.
- When you submit a ticket from Self Service 3.0, data of the following fields is not saved because they are hidden through dynamic field rendering:
- Fields that are present in a ticket layout
- Fields that are present in a ticket layout and are populated by using a template
To enable dynamic field rendering
The following example shows how administrators configure the field display criteria for a ticket layout so that the fields Asset ID and Asset Type are displayed on a ticket form only when a client user enters the ticket category as Hardware.
- Click the Remedyforce Administration tab.
- On the Home page, click the Configure Self Service tile, and from the menu, select Ticket Layouts.
- Click Create/Edit Layout.
- On the Layout: Ticket tab, select the required ticket layout for which you want to configure the field display criteria.
- Select the available field sets.
- Select the Enable Dynamic Rendering check box.
- Click Save.
The Define Conditions link is enabled.
- Click Define Conditions.
On the conditions tab, select the Dynamic Display check box for the Asset ID field.
After selecting the check box, the Display if link is displayed.
If you clear the Display if check box for a field and click Save, the defined conditions are cancelled.
- To define the field display criteria, click Display if.
- From the Field list, select Category as you want to display the Asset ID field based on the ticket category.
- From the Operator list, select the required operator.
The list of operators is displayed based on the field type that you selected from the Field list. For example, if you select a date field, the following operators are displayed:
>, >=, =, !=, <, <=
- Click the Search icon and select Hardware.
- Select the required logical operator.
Click the Add icon. You can define a single condition or multiple conditions.
Click Add Advanced Rule Logic to modify the field display rules.
On the conditions tab for the selected layout, click Save.
To define the field display criteria for the Asset Type field, repeat step 8 through step 15.
To verify if the defined field display criteria are applied, create or modify a ticket in Self Service 3.0 with the category Hardware. The Asset ID and Asset Type fields must be displayed on the ticket form.