Priority records allow you to define how to process and escalate incidents, tasks, broadcasts, change requests, and problems. When you assign an impact and urgency to an incident, task, broadcast, change request, problem, or release record, BMC Remedyforce assigns the priority that corresponds to the unique combination of the impact and urgency values of the record. For example, if you select HIGH as the Urgency ID and MEDIUM as the Impact ID of the record, BMC Remedyforce assigns 2 to the Priority ID of the record.
When you assign an impact and urgency to an incident, task, broadcast, change request, or problem record, BMC Remedyforce uses the values to calculate the priority based on this formula:
Urgency + Impact = Priority.
The Priority Matrix defines the out-of-the-box combinations of urgency and impact values and their corresponding priority values. The following table describes the Priority Matrix.
If you create or delete urgency or impact records, you must update the Priority Matrix so that the Priority ID and due date calculation are updated appropriately.
- The due date of the incident, task, or problem is calculated using the duration defined in the priority record.
- The value for Priority will be updated when the values for Urgency and Impact are updated. However, updating the value for only Priority will not update the Urgency and Impact values.
To create a priority
- Click the Remedyforce Administration tab.
- On the Home page, click the Configure Application tile, and from the menu select Priority.
- In the priorities list view, click New.
- In the Priority ID field, type a name of the priority.
- In the Description field, type a description of the priority record.
- In the Duration field, type the amount of time that must be used to calculate the due date.
The value must be typed in this format: HH:MM. For example, 08:00 means that the incident that is assigned this priority is expected to be resolved within 8 hours.
From the Impacts list, select the applicable impact.
The selected impact must reflect the level of impact that is associated with all records that are assigned with the current priority.
The description of the selected impact is filled in the Impact Description field.
From the Urgency list, select the required urgency.
The selected urgency must reflect the speed of response that is associated with all records that are assigned with the current priority.
The description of the selected urgency is filled in the Urgency Description field.
- Click Save.
(Optional) To designate the current record as inactive, select the Inactive check box.
Records marked as inactive are not included in any search performed on the database.