Implementing custom adapters
You can implement a custom adapter by uploading the information required to define an adapter type to the repository. You can use this new type to configure an adapter on a grid.
To implement a custom adapter
- In the Grid Manager application, select the Manage tab, and then select the Adapters tab.
- Click Upload adapter.
- Select Custom adapter.
- Enter the adapter type that you want in the Type field.
- Enter the version and revision for this adapter type.
- Enter a description for the custom adapter type.
- Click Browse or the folder icon next to the JAR File field.
- Navigate to the location of the JAR file to be used by the custom adapter; then click Open to select the file.
Enter the class name for the custom adapter.
This class name must refer to a valid class within the specified JAR file.
If you do not provide a valid class name, an adapter that uses this type will fail to start when enabled on a peer. Even though an upload is successful, if the information provided is not correct, the use of this adapter type will result in a nonfunctional adapter when it is enabled on a peer.
If the custom adapter requires additional files to function properly, you can add them as dependent files.
To add dependent files to the custom adapter
- Click the Browse button adjacent to the Dependencies field.
- Navigate to the location of the dependent file for the custom adapter; then click Open to select the file.
- (Optional) If more than one additional file is required, click the More Dependencies text.
The first file is moved into the Dependencies table, which is below the Dependencies field.
Repeat steps 1 through 3 for as many dependent files as necessary for the custom adapter.
You can disassociate files in the Dependencies table from the adapter by clicking the Delete icon.
If you are enabling custom logging for the adapter, you must add the configDescriptor.xml file as a dependency (Enabling custom logging with custom adapters). You must be using BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version 7.8 or later.
- If platform-specific libraries are required by the custom adapter, follow these steps to upload the platform-specific libraries:
- Click the Browse button adjacent to the Platform Libraries field.
Navigate to the location of the zip file containing the libraries for the custom adapter; then click Open to select the file.
All required platform libraries must be contained in a single zip file.
- When you have entered all upload information, click OK.
The specified information is uploaded to the repository and available for use to configure an adapter. The upload process does not create an adapter configuration; it adds the custom adapter type to the repository where it can be selected for configuring an adapter on a specific grid.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To facilitate adding an adapter configuration for the newly uploaded adapter, click Continue.
- To return to the main Adapters screen without adding a configuration, click the bottom option and then click Continue.
- (Optional) Proceed with the configuration as described in To configure an adapter.