Installing BMC Service Desk Automation run book
The BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program automates the installation of the adapters, modules, BMC Remedy Action Request System artifacts (filters and operational categories), and BMC Remedy IT Service Management templates required for the BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
This topic describes how to install the BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
Before you begin
Before installing the run book, you must perform the following tasks:
- Download the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content Installer from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website .
After installing the CDP, ensure that you provide administrator permissions to the CDP.Perform the following steps to log on to CDP as an administrator.
1. On the server where the CDP is installed, run the services.msc command on the command prompt.
2. From the list of services running, select BMC Atrium Orchestrator Configuration Distribution Peer service, right-click and select Properties.
3. Click the Logon tab and select This account option.
4. Click Browse and select the Administrator user account.
5. Specify the password for the account.
6. Save and restart the service.
- Install BMC Remedy AR System and BMC Remedy ITSM suite of products as required for the run book.
- (Optional) If integrating with BMC MyIT, install BMC MyIT.
- Create a user account in BMC Remedy ITSM to be used for installing the run book.
To install BMC Service Desk Automation run book by using the GUI
The BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installer now also allows you to add, configure, and enable adapters and modules for the BMC Service Desk Automation run book directly from the installer. It also prompts you to specify the BMC Remedy ITSM server configuration parameters and BMC Remedy ITSM template fields.
- You can choose not to configure adapters and modules directly from the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content installer. It is optional. You can skip the configurations from the installer and manually do it on your grid after the content is installed.
- If your BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version is 7.9 or later, only then you can configure and enable adapters and modules directly from the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content installer. If your BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version is earlier than 7.9, and you select the Configure Adapters check box, then the installation fails.
- If you already have BMC Service Desk Automation run book installed and are upgrading to the latest version and you choose to configure the adapters and modules through the installer, the configuration parameters provided in the installer will overwrite the existing configurations on the grid.
- If you choose to configure the adapters and modules through the installer, they are configured and enabled on the Configuration Distribution Peer (CDP) only. After the installation is complete, you can move the adapters and modules to other peers based on your requirement.
- If your CDP is on a Linux environment, you must enable the Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Active Directory adapters on a Microsoft Windows peer.
- There is no change to the BMC Remedy ITSM artifacts installed with the BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
Navigate to the folder where you have downloaded the installation files and start the installation program.
On the Welcome to BMC Atrium Orchestrator panel, review the information and click Next.
|3.||On the license agreement panel, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement; then click Next.|
On the Directory Selection panel, accept the default location,
|5.||On the Repository Communications Settings panel, enter the repository settings, and click Next:|
On the Installation Type panel, select BSM Solutions and click Next.
On the Solution feature selection panel, select BMC Service Desk Automation and click Next.
On the Adapter feature selection panel, select the Configure Adapters check box to configure the adapters required for the solution and click Next.
The option to configure and enable adapters directly through the installer is only available if your current platform version is 7.9 or later.
Adapters required for the BMC Service Desk Automation run book are preselected and cannot be cleared. You can choose to skip the adapter configuration from the installer and manually configure adapters on your grid after the content is installed.
When you select the Configure Adapters check box, if any of the preselected adapters and modules are already present on your grid, the details provided in the installation will override the existing adapter and module configurations on the grid.
On the Module feature selection panel, select the Configure modules check box to configure and activate modules on the grid automatically.
Modules required for the solution are preselected and cannot be cleared.
The Configure modules check box is enabled only if the Configure Adapters check box is selected in the previous panel. You can choose to skip configuring the modules from the installer and manually configure and activate them on the grid later.
On the Solution configuration - ITSM details panel, enter your BMC Remedy ITSM environment details.
Click the CDP tab to enter your grid settings.
Click the Third Party tab and select the check box against the adapter name to specify the adapter configuration details.
On the ITSM Template Data Settings panel, select the appropriate data in the fields where you want to customize the BMC Remedy ITSM templates, and then click Next.
On the Installation preview panel, review the features to be installed, and then click Install.
When the installation finishes, click Done.
The BMC Service Desk Automation run book is installed successfully and you can view the install log at the location displayed on the installer.
To install the BMC Service Desk Automation run book by using the command-line options
In a silent installation, you run the installation program from a command line. You can run a silent installation on Red Hat or SUSE Linux, Oracle Solaris, and Windows to install the BMC Service Desk Automation run book. To execute a silent installation, you specify an options file to feed the installation settings to the program. The options file is a text file that defines all the required installation properties.
To run the silent installation:
On a computer that has network access to the repository, navigate to the directory that contains the installation program.
From the command line, execute the command in the following format to install the BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\20.16.03\windows_bao_content_installer_20.16.03_00\Content\Disk1>setup.cmd -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE=C:\optionSDA.options
The following figure shows a sample options file for installing and configuring the BMC Service Desk Automation run book:
-P installLocation=C:\Program Files\BMC Software\silentwinSDA -J CONFIGURE_ADAPTERS=true -J CONFIGURE_MODULES=true -J REMEDY_PORT_NUMBER=0 -J REMEDY_USER_NAME=Allen -J REMEDY_HOSTNAME=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J REMEDY_PASSWORD=DES\:facfe8dfd0743920d8d901de05557886 -J AO_CDP_HOST=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J AO_CDP_PORT=0 -J AO_CDP_PROTOCOL=https -J AO_CDP_USER_NAME=Allen -J AO_CDP_PASSWORD=DES\:facfe8dfd0743920d8d901de05557886 -J Active Directory=true -J AD_HOST=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J AD_USER=Allen -J AD_PASSWORD=DES\:facfe8dfd0743920d8d901de05557886 -J Microsoft Exchange=true -J EXCHANGE_TARGET=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J EXCHANGE_USER=Allen -J EXCHANGE_PASSWORD=DES\:facfe8dfd0743920d8d901de05557886 -J EXCHANGE_VERSION=v2016 -J EXCHANGE_MAILBOX_DB=QADB -J EXCHANGE_MAIL_DOMAIN=bmc.com -J EXCHANGE_CONSOLEFILE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\exshell.psc1
The following table describes the silent installation properties for the options file.
Property name Description
Specifies the directory location where the installer files are located
Specifies whether to configure the adapters and modules for the solution Valid values: true, false
Specifies the BMC Remedy AR system integration details
In this release, any password specified in the options file is not masked in the install log and is displayed in the install log. To mask passwords, BMC recommends that you specify encrypted passwords in the options file before installing the solution.
To encrypt passwords, see .
-J AO_CDP_HOST=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J AO_CDP_PORT=0 -J AO_CDP_PROTOCOL=https -J AO_CDP_USER_NAME=Allen -J AO_CDP_PASSWORD=
Specifies the configuration distribution details for the grid on which the solution will be installed.
Required only if
-J CONFIGURE_ADAPTERSis set to
-J Active Directory=true -J AD_HOST=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J AD_USER=Allen -J AD_PASSWORD=
Specifies the configuration details for Microsoft Active Directory. To configure the Microsoft Active Directory adapter, specify
-J Active Directory=trueand then provide additional details.
-J Microsoft Exchange=true -J EXCHANGE_TARGET=clm-pun-123456.bmc.com -J EXCHANGE_USER=Allen -J EXCHANGE_PASSWORD=
DES\:facfe8dfd0743920d8d901de05557886 -J EXCHANGE_VERSION=v2016 -J EXCHANGE_MAILBOX_DB=QADB -J EXCHANGE_MAIL_DOMAIN=bmc.com -J EXCHANGE_CONSOLEFILE=
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\exshell.psc1
Specifies the configuration details for the Microsoft Exchange server. To configure the Microsoft Exchangey adapter, specify
-J Microsoft Exchange=trueand then provide additional details.
To verify the installation
To verify if the BMC Service Desk Automation run book is installed and configured successfully, go to the Grid Manager to verify the installation.
Log on to the Grid Manager.
On the grid, under the Status tab, the list of adapters installed, configured and enabled are displayed.
The default names of the adapters installed for the BMC Service Desk Automation run book are appended with _SDA.Click here to view the list of adapters configured and enabled on the grid
BMC Remedy AR System actor
BMC Remedy AR System monitor
The following figure shows the adapters enabled on the grid.
Click the Manage tab, and click the Modules tab to view the list of modules activated for the run book.Click here to view the list of modules activated on the grid
BMC SA SDA Fulfillment Cases
BMC SA Service Desk Automation
The following figure shows the modules configured and activated on the grid.
For a detailed list of the adapters and modules configured through the installer, see BMC Atrium Orchestrator artifacts and configuration reference by using the installer.
Where to go from here
- If not configured during the installation, configure adapters and modules required for the run book. For more information, see Configuring BMC Atrium Orchestrator for the BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
- If you encounter any issues while installing the run book, see Troubleshooting BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
- To view the artifacts installed in your BMC Remedy ITSM environment by the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content Installer, see Artifacts reference for BMC Service Desk Automation run book.
- After you install the solution, you can now start configuring your environment. For more information, see Configuration roadmap for BMC Service Desk Automation run book.