Configuring the Operations Manager actor adapter
You configure an adapter in BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager. The configuration provides information about how the adapter interacts with Microsoft System Center Operations Manager. Although each adapter must have a unique name, you can create multiple adapters with the same adapter type to allow for different configuration properties.
The form view provides an easy-to-use interface for configuring adapters. The form view prevents errors that might occur when you copy the configuration XML from the adapter documentation to the UI during configuration. You can switch to the XML view to configure those elements and attributes that are not available as fields or to configure all the elements and attributes by using XML only. However, after you switch to the XML view and save the configuration in XML from that view, you cannot thereafter use the form view to modify that configuration.
To configure the actor adapter
- Log on to BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
- To access the adapters page, click the Manage tab, and then click the Adapters tab.
- In the Adapters in Repository list, select the adapter-scom-actor check box.
- To include the adapter in the Adapters on Grid list, click Add to Grid.
- Click Configure corresponding to the newly added adapter.
- On the Add an Adapter Configuration page, perform the following steps to configure the adapter by using the form view, or skip to step 7 to configure the adapter by using the XML view:
Enter a name for the adapter.
The default name for the actor adapter is SCOMActor.
- Enter a description for the adapter.
- Under Properties, enter or select values for the configuration elements.
Include all required elements, which are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Click OK.
The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list
(Optional) Configure the adapter in the XML view by performing the following steps:
If you switch to the XML view, you cannot thereafter use the form view to modify the configuration.
- Enter a name and a description for the adapter.
- Click Switch to XML View.
- On the warning message that appears, click Switch View.
In the Properties text box, use XML format to enter the configuration elements and attributes, and then click OK.
If the default value for an optional element is acceptable, omit the element. Do not include empty elements.
- On the warning message that appears, click Save.
The adapter configuration with settings is saved in the XML view permanently. The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
The following table describes the configuration elements for the polling monitor adapter. You cannot use the form view to configure elements and attributes that do not have an entry in the UI label column.
Node elements required for configuring the actor adapter
Contains all other elements
Specifies the host name or IP address of the server where Microsoft System Center Operations Manager is installed
Specifies the user name for the Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 server authentication
Specifies the password that corresponds to the user name
The password element can contain an
Indicates whether the password specified is encrypted
Scom Working Dir
Specifies the path to the directory where Microsoft System Center Operations Manager is installed
The path should not end with a backslash (\).
Scom Powershell Console File
Specifies the name of the PowerShell console file for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
Is Console File Remote
Indicates whether the console file path specified is remote to the peer where the adapter is enabled
Target 64 Bit
Indicates whether the server where Microsoft System Center Operations Manager is installed is a 64-bit computer
Specifies the Microsoft System Center Operations Manager version used by the adapter
Valid values: 2007, 2012, 2016
XML sample for Base64 configuration
<scom-working-dir>C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007</scom-working-dir>
Enabling custom logging
To enable custom logging for the adapter, you must specify a log file name. You can also provide additional parameters for logging.
You must be using BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version 7.8 or later to use the custom logging feature. These parameters will be ignored in earlier versions of BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform.
These parameters are available with supported adapter versions. See your adapter documentation for details.
- Log File Name: Provide a name for the log file.
This file will be stored in the AO_HOME/tomcat/logs directory. If Log File Max Backup Index value is greater than 0, the log file name is suffixed with the backup index. For example, if the parameter value is a.log, backup log files will have names, such as a.log.1, a.log.2.
- Log File Size: Specify a size limit for the log file.
If the value specified for Log File Max Backup Index is greater than 0, when the specified size is reached, the current file is renamed with the suffix .1. Otherwise, the log file will be reset and over-written. The default value is 10MB. The available units are KiloBytes (KB), MegaBytes (MB) or GigaBytes (GB).
- Log File Max Backup Index: Enter the maximum number of backup files allowed. The default value is 10.
- Log File Append: Select this option to append new log information to the existing information in the file. If unselected, the file will be overwritten with new log information.
Log Level: Enter the logging level using one of the following choices:
The most detailed logging level; logs low-level messages, normal execution, recoverable erroneous conditions, and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
Logs normal execution, recoverable erroneous conditions, and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
Logs recoverable erroneous conditions and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
The least detailed logging level; logs only error conditions that are not usually recoverable