Configuring the BMC Mainview AutoOperator actor adapter
You configure an adapter in the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
You can only enable one BMC Mainview AutoOperator adapter on each peer of the grid. You can specify multiple cells in an mcell.dir file.
The form view provides an easy-to-use interface for configuring adapters. The form view prevents human errors that might occur as a result of copying the configuration XML from the XML sample into the UI when configuring an adapter. You can switch to the XML view to configure those elements and attributes that are not available as fields or to configure all the elements and attributes by using XML only. However, after you switch to the XML view, and save the configuration in XML from that view, you cannot thereafter use the form view to modify the configuration.
To configure the actor adapter
- Log on to the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
- To access the adapters page, click the Manage tab, then click the Adapters tab.
- In the Adapters in Repository list, select the bmc-ao-adapter-mainview-autooperator-actor check box.
- Click Add to Grid to include the adapter in the Adapters on Grid list.
- Click Configure corresponding to the newly added adapter.
- On the Add an Adapter Configuration page, perform the following substeps to configure the adapter by using the form view, or skip to step 7 to configure the adapter by using the XML view:
Enter a name for the adapter.
The default name for the BMC Mainview AutoOperator actor adapter is MVAutoOperatorAdapter .
- Enter a description for the adapter.
- Under Properties, enter or select values for the configuration elements.
Include all the required elements, indicated with an asterisk (*).
(Optional) Configure the adapter in the XML view using the following substeps:
- Enter a name and a description for the adapter.
- Click Switch to XML View to specify elements and attributes that are not in the form view.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Switch View.
Copy the configuration elements and attributes into the Properties text box, and then click OK.
If the default value for an optional element is acceptable, omit the element. Do not include empty elements.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Save.
This action saves the adapter configuration with settings in the XML view permanently. The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
The following table describes the element of an actor adapter configuration that you can specify using the form view, XML view, or both. You cannot use the form view to configure elements and attributes that do not have an entry in the "UI label" column. To configure such elements and attributes, you have to switch to the XML view.
Node element for the BMC Mainview AutoOperator actor adapter
|Mcell Dir File Path|
Specifies the location of the mcell.dir file on the BMC Atrium Orchestrator peer on which the adapter is enabled
The mcell.dir file contains information about the cell.
Specifies the default cell name where the events are reported in the BMC MainView AutoOperator application
The cell name must match with one of the cells specified in the mcell.dir file specified in the adapter configuration.
|Event Class Name|
Specifies the default Event class name where the events are reported in the BMC MainView AutoOperator application
Default value: EVENT
XML sample for configuring the actor adapter
<config> <mcell-dir-file-path>/xyz/abc/lmn/mcell.dir</mcell-dir-file-path> <cell-name>MVAO_BAOCell</cell-name> <event-class-name>BAO_JOB_STATUS</event-class-name> </config>
Enabling custom logging
To enable custom logging for the adapter, you must specify a log file name. You can also provide additional parameters for logging.
You must be using BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version 7.8 or later to use the custom logging feature. These parameters will be ignored in earlier versions of BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform.
These parameters are available with supported adapter versions. See your adapter documentation for details.
- Log File Name: Provide a name for the log file.
This file will be stored in the AO_HOME/tomcat/logs directory. If Log File Max Backup Index value is greater than 0, the log file name is suffixed with the backup index. For example, if the parameter value is a.log, backup log files will have names, such as a.log.1, a.log.2.
- Log File Size: Specify a size limit for the log file.
If the value specified for Log File Max Backup Index is greater than 0, when the specified size is reached, the current file is renamed with the suffix .1. Otherwise, the log file will be reset and over-written. The default value is 10MB. The available units are KiloBytes (KB), MegaBytes (MB) or GigaBytes (GB).
- Log File Max Backup Index: Enter the maximum number of backup files allowed. The default value is 10.
- Log File Append: Select this option to append new log information to the existing information in the file. If unselected, the file will be overwritten with new log information.
Log Level: Enter the logging level using one of the following choices:
The most detailed logging level; logs low-level messages, normal execution, recoverable erroneous conditions, and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
Logs normal execution, recoverable erroneous conditions, and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
Logs recoverable erroneous conditions and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
The least detailed logging level; logs only error conditions that are not usually recoverable