This topic includes troubleshooting information that is generic, applicable to all the adapters.
Adapter troubleshooting steps
- Check the processes.log files for messages returned by the adapter. BMC Atrium Orchestrator uses two processes.log files, one processes.log file for the grid and the other processes.log file for the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Development Studio.
- If a workflow is executed on the grid, the adapter requests and responses are logged in the processes.log file and the grid.log file for the grid. If a workflow is executed on the grid using a rule or a schedule, the entire wrapper-related information is logged in the processes.log file and the grid.log file for the grid. The processes.log file also contains any debug messages associated with the workflow.
If a workflow is executed from the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Development Studio, the adapter requests and responses are logged in the processes.logfile for the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Development Studio.
The processes.log file for the grid is located in the AO_HOME\tomcat\logs directory and the processes.log file for the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Development Studio is located in the AO_HOME\Studio\logs directory.
AO_HOME refers to the directory in which BMC Atrium Orchestrator is installed.
Check the grid.logfile on the peer for java exceptions. Verify whether the java exception is known and if a resolution exists.
The grid.log file is located in the AO_HOME\tomcat\logs directory.
- Verify that the adapter configuration in Grid Manager is correct.
- If none of the above steps help in identifying or resolving the issue, verify that the adapter can connect to the ports used by the target application.
For verifying connectivity, you can execute telnet, ping, or traceroute commands. If the connectivity does not exist, check whether the ports of the target application are blocked.
Debug-level adapter logging
If none of the general adapter troubleshooting steps help you in identifying or solving the issue, you need to enable debug-level adapter logging and open a customer support ticket via the BMC Support web interface, with the logging information specified in the ticket.
To enable debug-level adapter logging
- Log on to Grid Manager.
- Click the Manage tab, and click the Peers tab.
- From the currently defined peers for the grid, select the peer on which the adapter is enabled, and click Edit.
- On the Edita Peer Configuration page, click Configure Logging.
- On the Edit Logging Levels on Peer page, set the Logging Level to DEBUG for Adapter Framework, Adapters, Library Manager and Configuration.
- Adapter debug provides logging information about adapter actions involved in executing an adapter request.
- Adapter Framework and Library Manager debug provides logging information about the success or failure of configuring an adapter or enabling an adapter on the peer.
- Configuration debug enables you to verify whether the adapter configuration is correct.
- Click OK.
- Click OK on the Edit a Peer Configuration page.
You can duplicate the error that occurred previously and obtain the debug-level logging information for the error from the grid.log file.
To open a support ticket
- Log on to the Customer support application via the web interface at http://www.bmc.com/support/.
- Create a ticket and include the debug-level logging information in the ticket.