Configuring the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 adapter
You configure an adapter in Grid Manager. The configuration provides information about how the adapter interacts with the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 application. While each adapter must have a unique name, you can create multiple adapters with the same adapter type to allow for different configuration properties.
The form view provides an easy-to-use interface for configuring adapters. The form view prevents human errors that might occur as a result of copying the configuration XML from the XML sample into the UI when configuring an adapter. You can switch to the XML view to configure all those elements and attributes using XML only. However, after you switch to the XML view and save the configuration in the XML from that view, you cannot thereafter use the form view for modifying that configuration.
The default name for the actor adapter is MOM2005Adapter.
Toconfigure the actor adapter, monitor adapter, or both
- Log on to the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
- Access the adapters page by clicking the Manage tab; then click the Adapters tab.
- In the Adapters in Repository list:
- Select the ro-adapter-microsoft-operations-manager-2005-actor check box to configure the actor adapter.
- Select the ro-adapter-microsoft-operations-manager-2005-monitor check box to configure the monitor adapter.
- Select both check boxes to configure both adapters.
- Click Add to Grid to include the adapter in the Adapters on Grid list.
- Click Configure corresponding to the newly added adapter.
- On the Add an Adapter Configuration page, perform the following substeps to configure the adapter using the form view or skip to step 7 to configure the adapter using the XML view:
- Enter a name for the adapter.
- Enter a description for the adapter.
- Under Properties, enter or select values for the configuration elements. Include all required elements indicated with an asterisk ( * ).
- Click OK.
( optional ) Configure the adapter in the XML view using the following substeps:
- Enter a name and a description for the adapter.
- Click Switch to XML View.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Switch View.
In Properties, enter the adapter configuration properties in an XML format, including all required elements as indicated in the following table.
The Properties text box must contain a valid XML configuration node for the adapter.
If the default value for an optional element is acceptable, omit the element. Do not include empty elements.
On the Warning message that appears, click Save.
This saves the adapter configuration with settings in the XML view permanently. The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
The following table describes the node elements required to configure the actor adapter:
Node elements for configuring the actor adapter
Specifies the IP address of the server on which the MOM web service is running Default value: 18.104.22.1689
Specifies the port on which the MOM web service is running Default value: 1271
Specifies the transport protocol for the message Default value: http-rpc
Specifies the user name required for authentication
Specifies the password associated with the
Connector Prop Path
Specifies the connector properties file path on the peer where the adapter is enabled This file contains the connector registration IDs that are required for performing Create, Update, and Delete operations on alerts. These registration IDs are created the first time that the adapter is enabled. If the adapter is enabled on multiple peers and you want to use the same connectors for each of them, copy the same properties file to all the peers. This is required if you expect the same alert data to be retrieved from all the enabled adapters. If you do not copy the properties file to all the peers where the adapter is enabled, new connector registrations are done, and a new properties file is created on each peer.
The following figure shows an XML sample for configuring the actor adapter.
XML sample for configuring the actor adapter
<config> <target>22.214.171.1249</target> <port>1271</port> <user-name>Administrator</user-name> <password>********</password> <transport>http-rpc</transport> <connector-prop-path>C:/MomTest</connector-prop-path> </config>
The following figure describes the node elements required to configure the monitor adapter:
Node elements for configuring the monitor adapter
Specifies the port on the CDP computer that listens for SNMP traps from the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 application adapter Valid value: 162 (Only the default port is allowed.)
Specifies the version of SNMP
Specifies the directory in which you have copied the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 application adapter Management Information Base (MIB) file Valid value: test/conf/mibs directory To use the monitor adapter successfully, verify that the MIBs directory path exists on all the peers on which you enable this adapter. An invalid path causes the adapter to go into a fault state.
The following figure shows an XML sample for configuringe the monitor adapter.
XML sample for configuring the monitor adapter
<config> <port>162</port> <version>1</version> <mibs-directory>*****</mibs-directory> </config>