Configuring the Dell AIM monitor adapter
You configure an adapter in BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager. The configuration provides information about how the adapter interacts with Dell Advanced Infrastructure Manager (AIM) application. Although each adapter must have a unique name, you can create multiple adapters with the same adapter type to allow for different configuration properties.
The form view provides an easy-to-use interface for configuring adapters. The form view prevents errors that might occur when you copy the configuration XML from the adapter documentation to the UI during configuration. You can switch to the XML view to configure those elements and attributes that are not available as fields or to configure all the elements and attributes using XML only. However, after you switch to the XML view and save the configuration in XML from that view, you cannot thereafter use the form view to modify that configuration.
To configure the monitor adapter
- Log on to BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
- To access the adapters page, click the Manage tab, and then click the Adapters tab.
- In the Adapters in Repository list, select the bmc-adapter-dell-aim-monitor check box.
- To include the adapter in the Adapters on Grid list, click Add to Grid.
- Click Configure corresponding to the newly added adapter.
- On the Add an Adapter Configuration page, perform the following steps to configure the adapter by using the form view, or skip to step 7 to configure the adapter by using the XML view:
- Enter a name for the adapter.;
- Enter a description for the adapter.
- Under Properties, enter or select values for the configuration elements.
Include all required elements, which are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Click OK.
The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
(Optional) Configure the adapter in the XML view by performing the following steps:
If you switch to the XML view, you cannot thereafter use the form view to modify the configuration.
- Enter a name and a description for the adapter.
- Click Switch to XML View.
- On the warning message that appears, click Switch View.
In the Properties text box, use XML format to enter the configuration elements and attributes, and then click OK.
If the default value for an optional element is acceptable, omit the element. Do not include empty elements.
- On the warning message that appears, click Save.
The adapter configuration with settings is saved in the XML view permanently. The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
The following table describes the configuration elements for the monitor adapter. You cannot use the form view to configure elements and attributes that do not have an entry in the UI label column.
Node elements required for configuring the monitor adapter
Specifies the parent element that contains the elements in which you specify the configuration details
Specifies the port on which to listen for SNMP traps
Specifies the SNMP version
Specifies the directory location for SNMP management information bases (MIBs)
To ensure that processes using the monitor adapter run successfully, the MIBs directory must exist on all peers on which the adapter is enabled.
The MIB file is located in the Dell AIM installation directory at /opt/dell/aim/mib/. The MIB file name is Dell-AIM.MIB.
The following figure illustrates a sample XML configuration for the monitor adapter:
XML sample for configuring the monitor adapter
<config> <port>1620</port> <version>2c</version> <mibs-directory>/opt/dell/aim/mib/</mibs-directory> </config>