Configuring the BEM adapter
You configure an adapter in Grid Manager. The configuration provides information about how the adapter interacts with BMC Event Manager (BEM). While each adapter must have a unique name, you can create multiple adapters with the same adapter type to allow for different configuration properties.
The form view provides an easy-to-use interface for configuring adapters. The form view prevents human errors that might occur as a result of copying the configuration XML from the XML sample into the UI when configuring an adapter. You can switch to the XML view to configure those elements and attributes that are not available as fields or to configure all the elements and attributes using XML only. However, after you switch to the XML view and save the configuration in the XML from that view, you cannot thereafter use the form view for modifying that configuration.
The default name for the actor adapter is BMCEventManager.
This topic describes the properties to configure the BMC Event Manager adapter:
To configure the actor adapter, monitor adapter, or both
- Log on to the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
- Access the adapters page by clicking the Manage tab; then click the Adapters tab.
- In the Adapters in Repository list:
- Select the
ro-adapter-bmc-event-manager-actorcheck box to configure the actor adapter.
- Select the
ro-adapter-bmc-event-manager-monitorcheck box to configure the monitor adapter.
- Select both check boxes to configure both adapters.
- Select the
- Click Add to Grid to include the adapter in the Adapters on Grid list.
- Click Configure corresponding to the newly added adapter.
- On the Add an Adapter Configuration page, perform the following substeps to configure the adapter using the form view or skip to step 7 to configure the adapter using the XML view:
Enter a name for the adapter.
The Name field does not support single-quote (') and ampersand (&) characters.
- Enter a description for the adapter.
- Under Properties, enter or select values for the configuration elements.
Include all required elements, indicated with an asterisk (*).
(optional) Configure the adapter in the XML view using the following substeps:
- Enter a name and a description for the adapter.
- Click Switch to XML View.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Switch View.
Copy the configuration elements and attributes from the XML sample into the Properties text box, and then click OK.
If the default value for an optional element is acceptable, omit the element. Do not include empty elements.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Save.
This action saves the adapter configuration with settings in the XML view permanently. The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
The following table describes the node elements required for configuring the actor adapter:
The following figure shows an XML sample for configuring the actor adapter.
XML sample for configuring the actor adapter
<config> <mcell-dir-file-path>/xyz/abc/lmn/mcell.dir</mcell-dir-file-path> <user-name>someuser</user-name> </config>
The following table describes the node elements required for configuring the monitor adapter:
The configuration information that you specify for the monitor adapter must match that specified in the incomm.conf and mcell.dir files located on the BEM server.
The following figure shows an XML sample for configuring the monitor adapter.
XML sample for configuring the monitor adapter
<config> <port>1859</port> <gateway-name>BEMGW</gateway-name> <encryption-key>mc</encryption-key> </config>
Adapter configuration properties
This section describes some common configuration properties than you can add Properties section of the Adapter Configuration page.
Encrypting an element's contents
You can add the attribute
secure="true" to an XML adapter element XML view to ensure that the element's contents is encrypted when displayed.
You must be using BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version 7.8 or later to use this encryption attribute.
Enabling custom logging
To enable custom logging for the adapter, you must specify a log file name. You can also provide additional parameters for logging.
You must be using BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform version 7.8 or later to use the custom logging feature. These parameters will be ignored in earlier versions of BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform.
These parameters are available with supported adapter versions. See your adapter documentation for details.
- Log File Name: Provide a name for the log file.
This file will be stored in the AO_HOME/tomcat/logs directory. If Log File Max Backup Index value is greater than 0, the log file name is suffixed with the backup index. For example, if the parameter value is a.log, backup log files will have names, such as a.log.1, a.log.2.
- Log File Size: Specify a size limit for the log file.
If the value specified for Log File Max Backup Index is greater than 0, when the specified size is reached, the current file is renamed with the suffix .1. Otherwise, the log file will be reset and over-written. The default value is 10MB. The available units are KiloBytes (KB), MegaBytes (MB) or GigaBytes (GB).
- Log File Max Backup Index: Enter the maximum number of backup files allowed. The default value is 10.
- Log File Append: Select this option to append new log information to the existing information in the file. If unselected, the file will be overwritten with new log information.
Log Level: Enter the logging level using one of the following choices:
The most detailed logging level; logs low-level messages, normal execution, recoverable erroneous conditions, and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
Logs normal execution, recoverable erroneous conditions, and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
Logs recoverable erroneous conditions and unrecoverable erroneous conditions
The least detailed logging level; logs only error conditions that are not usually recoverable