Configuring base adapters
Adapters are configured in Grid Manager, using an XML document to define the connection details and adapter properties. Each adapter section contains the adapter type, a table outlining the adapter configuration fields, and an XML template for a configuration node, which is an XML file that contains the adapter configuration properties. Each adapter requires specific information in the configuration node to enable communications between systems or applications and processes. While each adapter must have a unique name, you can create multiple adapters with the same adapter type to allow for different configuration properties.
The form view provides an easy-to-use interface for configuring adapters. It prevents human errors that might occur as a result of copying the configuration XML from the adapter user guide into the UI when configuring an adapter. You can switch to the XML view to configure those elements and attributes that are not available as fields or to configure all the elements and attributes using XML only. However, after you switch to the XML view, and save the configuration in the XML from that view, you cannot thereafter use the form view for modifying that configuration.
Toconfigure the actor adapter, monitor adapter, or both
- Log on to the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Grid Manager.
- Access the adapters page, by clicking the Manage tab; then click the Adapters tab.
- In the Adapters in Repository list, select the check box corresponding for the type of adapter to be added.
The adapter type use the following naming convention:
ro-adapter-adapter type. For example, the adapter type for the IMAP adapter would be
- Click Add to Grid to include the adapter in the Adapters on Grid list.
- Click Configure corresponding to the newly added adapter.
- On the Add an Adapter Configuration page, perform the following substeps to configure the adapter using the form view or jump to step 7 to configure the adapter using the XML view:
- Enter a name for the adapter.
- Enter a description for the adapter.
- Under Properties, enter or select values for the configuration elements.
The configuration elements for each adapter are described in that adapter's section. Include all required elements indicated with an asterisk (*).
- ( optional ) Click Switch to XML View and use the following steps to specify elements and attributes that are not in the form view.
Switching to the XML view to specify those elements and attributes not included in the form means that you cannot thereafter use the form for modifying that configuration. This step is not required for base adapters that can be fully configured using the form.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Switch View.
- In the Properties text box, use XML format to enter the configuration elements and attributes not available as fields in the form view.
- Click OK.
( optional ) Configure the adapter in the XML view using the following substeps:
- Enter a name and a description for the adapter.
- Click Switch to XML View.
- On the*Warning* message that appears, click*Switch View.*
- Copy the configuration elements and attributes from the appropriate adapter configuration section into the Properties text box, and then click OK.
If the default value for an optional element is acceptable, omit the element. Do not include empty elements.
- On the Warning message that appears, click Save.
This saves the adapter configuration with settings in the XML view permanently. The newly configured adapter is now listed in the Adapters on Grid list.
The Managing adapters on the grid topic contains the detailed steps to establish adapter configurations on the grid and assign them to individual peers. In Grid Manager, you can create multiple adapters with the same type to accommodate different configuration node properties, provided that you give the adapters unique names.